[FTC standard disclaimer] We received no compensation for this post. Any links that may earn us a commission are tagged [Affiliate link].
Alexis and I whipped up this dish for a no-fuss weeknight meal using only things we had in the fridge. To be fair, our refrigerator is pretty well stocked. We used store-bought pasta, prepackaged pesto, and a gas grill to make everything the lowest-effort possible. But low-effort can be delicious as the evidence shows.....
The pre-made pesto already has a warm spice level and the black pepper gives the pasta sauce a surprising kick of heat. Nothing strident, but it is a building heat and lets you know it's there.
For the Grilled Garlic and Herb Chicken
This was as simple as you can get. I set the CharBroil Cruise to 500°f and ignored it while I got my stuff ready.
|This grill has Cruise Control technology so I can set it and know it will be the temp I want when I come back out. No more guessing what low, medium, or high is on the typically vague gas grill control knobs.|
I patted the boneless, skinless chicken breasts dry and then spritzed them with peanut oil. Then I seasoned them heavily with Kinders Buttery Garlic and Herb [Amazon Affiliate Link]. I grilled them until they hit an internal temperature of 160°f, which took about 6 minutes per side.
|These chicken breasts are juicy and smell fantastic when they come off of the grill.|
Red Pepper Pesto Pasta
This is one of our go-to pasta dishes because it is quick, easy, and flexible. It is good as a side or we add chicken or grilled shrimp to make it a main dish.
- 9 oz package Buitoni spaghetti, cooked according to directions
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 medium tomato, diced and seeded
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 7 oz package Buitoni Spicy Red Pepper Pesto
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- kosher salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon
- for garnish: green onion and more parmesan
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet over the fire.
- Saute the veggies. Add oil to the skillet and once shimmery, add the bell pepper and onion and saute for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the tomato, garlic, black pepper, and basil and cook until the tomato starts to break down about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the pesto, parmesan cheese, and enough of pasta-water to get a sauce-like consistency. Taste and season with salt.
- Stir in the pasta and toss to coat the pasta.
- Garnish with green onion and more shredded parmesan cheese.
Yield: 4 side-dish servings or 2 main servings.Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.Tags: pasta, sauce