[FTC Standard Disclosure] We received no compensation for this post. I am fortunate to cook with the Flavor Anonymous guys at Memphis in May each year and recently they were kind enough to send me a box of their exciting rubs and seasonings.
Hungry? How about this triple-decker smash burger with bacon and layers of roasted jalapeno cream sauce?
Don't panic, that's not as big as it looks - it's only a slider. A slider with a half-pound of beef on it but still a slider.
The Gringo Jalapeno sauce is a cream sauce with fire-roasted jalapeno and the Dirty Gringo rub from Flavor Anonymous. This rub has Southwestern flavors with smoky chiles that bring a lot of flavor to this sauce. I originally made it as a dip for hot wings but it also goes great on burgers.
Gringo Jalapeno Sauce for Wings and Burgers
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 jalapeno, fire-roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Flavor Anonymous Dirty Gringo rub
- pinch or two of salt to taste
- Preheat a small saucepot over medium heat. Melt the butter and whisk in the flour, whisking until combined in a light roux. Slowly pour in the half and half while continuously whisking until combined.
- Whisk in the jalapeno, seasoning, and simmer until it reaches a sauce consistency. It should coat the back of a spoon. This should just take 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat, taste, and add a pinch of salt, if desired.
For the burgers, I weighed out 2.5 ounce balls of fresh ground chuck. I didn't grind it myself so I picked it up from Food City since they fresh grind their beef on-site several times a day. The fresher the better when it comes to burgers.
|I preheated my 17" single-burner Blackstone griddle to high heat. I smash the beef onto the griddle using a 5mm sized Ballasitic Burger Smasher. Then I let the burgers cook for 2 minutes.|
|After 2 minutes, I flip the patties and immediately season them. I used Flavor Anonymous Burger Bomb. It has the salt, paprika, garlic, and onion that you'd expect but Burger Bomb also has things like dry molasses, cane sugar, and dried orange peel. The result is a quick flavor boost for your burgers.|
|Right after we flip and season, I immediately topped each with a heaping tablespoon of Gringo Jalapeno Sauce. Then let it cook for 1 more minute and they are done.|
|Then stack it as high as you want it and crown it with a strip of bacon. I'm usually a single or a double guy, but my eyes were hungry and I went for a triple with this one.|
|If you like what you get here on Nibble Me This, check out my two books: The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook and The Offset Smoker Cookbook. |