Trevor has been back to school for over a month but I can really tell it is back in session because of his middle school social activities.
- Friday afternoon - arrived home with 3 friends and they skateboarded, played video games, and were out and out rambunctious.
- Friday evening - Those 4 met 16 other friends at Battlefield Knoxville for a few hours of combat gaming.
- Friday night - He and a friend spent the night at another friend's house.
- Saturday Morning - Attended friend's football game.
- Saturday afternoon - He and a friend went to another friend's house where a bunch of other kids were. They played rough house type games (tackle tag, etc) outside and then ate a bunch of pizza.
- Saturday evening - He and a friend spent the night at our house.
So we woke up Sunday morning and wanted to make something easy for breakfast that would fuel the boys' high paced weekend. I made our usual waffles and this SUPER easy berry syrup.
Very Simple Berry Syrup
yields: approximately 1 cup
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries
- 1 cup sugar
- Place in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally until the sugar is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully strain through a sieve into a bowl. Slightly push down on the pulp in the sieve to get all the juice out. Discard the pulp.
- Strain a second time through cheese cloth.
- That's it. You're done. You can serve warm or chilled to let it thicken.
- We used a cherry, blueberry, raspberry and strawberry blend that resulted in a multifaceted taste that we all found scrumptious.
|Don't skip the second straining. You want to get all the pits and seeds out.|
|So easy and completely delicious!|
So it is now just afternoon. Trevor and his friend have gone to another friend's house. Go go go go. Red Bull has nothing on teenagers and their energy!
I realize this has nothing to do with BBQ or grilling. But in a way it does. I'm roasting a pork loin this afternoon and I'm thinking of using a version of this for a mixed berry pork glaze.
I hope you all are having a great weekend so far.