I had just bought four top sirloin filets and I knew exactly what I was going to do with them. Top sirloin filet are one of the "extra lean" cuts off beef with less than 5 grams of fat. They resemble beef tenderloin but they are a little less tender, more flavorful, and about half the price. I cook them the same way I do filet mignon.
Grilled Top Sirloin Filet with Mushroom Salsa
- 4 Top Sirloin Filet
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup mushroom salsa
For the Sauce Marsala
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp flour
- pinch salt
- Place steaks at room temperature.
- Mix together the butter and flour, then chill.
- Heat wine, pepper, and stock in a saute pan over medium heat until it reduces volume by half (about 10 minutes).
- Once reduced, slowly whisk in the cream. Add the flour butter mix in small amounts (1/2 tsp) while whisking frequently. Simmer until thickened. Taste for seasoning and add salt IF needed. It took right at 20 minutes from start to finish for the sauce. Keep warm.
- Preheat a charcoal grill to 500f. Make sure your grates are clean and lightly oiled.
- Season filet with salt and pepper just immediately before putting them on the grill.
- Grill the filet to 125f for medium rare, about 4 minutes per side. Rotate the steaks a quarter turn on each side to get nice grill marks.
- Allow filet to rest 5 minutes after taking them off the grill.
- Serve steak on a bed of the mushroom salsa and top with the sauce marsala. I used a ring mold to shape the salsa.
The idea of a mushroom salsa seemed weird but it totally worked with this steak. The sauce marsala had a sweetness to it that was balanced out by the black pepper. The fingerling potatoes were just seasoned with salt, pepper, and oregano and roasted. Alexis loved it all.
|My baby bellas were HUGE. More like teenaged bellas.|
|The netting helps them hold their shape. I cook the filet with the netting on and cut it off afterward.|
|Grilling away on the Craycort grates.|
|Like beef tenderloin, top sirloin filet are best served rare to medium rare.|
I hope you all are having a fun weekend. Give your loved ones a hug!