We made these after Alexis and I had spent the afternoon by the pool, so I was in a very "summery" mood. As a result, the burger was very...well, "summery". It's a chorizo burger patty, topped with avocado, pico de gallo, and a grilled quesadilla for a bun.
Little Known Fact: Although "pico de gallo" means "rooster's beak", there is no beak or even any chicken in pico de gallo. [Okay, you might have known that.]
- 4 Johnsonville Chorizo Burgers
- 4 flour tortillas, 8" size
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo (see recipe)
- Preheat a charcoal grill to 350f.
- Grill chorizo burgers for 15-18 minutes, flipping occasionally, until they reach 160f.
- Meanwhile, make the quesadilla "buns". Spread about 2 tablespoons of refried beans on one half of a tortilla, top with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (half and half of each kind), and fold over the other half.
- During the last 5 minutes of the burgers' cook time, grill the quesadillas 2 minutes per side. Cut in half for the top and bottom "buns".
- Using the buns, top each burger with avocado slices and pico de gallo.
Pico De Gallo
Makes about 1 1/2 cups (more than needed for the Chorizadilla, but grab some nachos and enjoy)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Mix it all up. Leave out the rooster beaks if you prefer.
|Look Ma....no beaks!|
|Looks like a hamburger bun, no?|
|Fired up on my Big Green Egg.|
Yep....no ordinary burger.
But that is kind of the point. This is going to be my entry into Johnsonville's No Ordinary Burger contest for a chance to win $10,000!
Well sure, you can enter the contest too, but I'm totally going to kick your butt (he said, lovingly). Check out the link for all the official rules and stuff, but basically, you create your most extraordinary burger using one of Johnsonville's new chorizo, Italian Sausage, bratwurst, or cheddar burger patties. You can enter up until July 3, 2012. The finalists will go head to head in a live televised event in August, battling for the $10,000 grand prize.
You and me on TV in August. How sweet would that be? Game on, dude (or dudette). Game on.
[Standard Disclaimer] I get some minor compensation from Johnsonville for being part of their blogger panel but I really hope to make bank by winning this contest.