It's usually used as a term for a small, backwoods, in the middle of nowhere place. So when Alexis suggested I name the dipping sauce for these oven roasted fries "Podunk Sauce" I looked at her like she was crazy.
But she clarified, "You know, you 'dunk' your 'po'-tatoes in the sauce."
Okay, she was right, cute name. But don't tell her that, she'll be impossible to live with.
As far as the potatoes, this is a basic way we do our roasted potatoes. Sometime we quarter them, sometimes we do them as fries like this. The herb mix I used tonight was half fresh thyme and half fresh oregano.
Roasted Red Potato Fries with Po'dunk Sauce
- 2 lbs red bliss potatoes cut into sixths
- 1 Tbsp fresh herbs, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Cholula Chipotle Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt (I used Drapers A.P. Rub)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake
- Mix the sauce ingredients together and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450f.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and then when it returns to a boil, cook for 1 minute. (This step may seem unnecessary but it gets you the tender inside and crispy outside.)
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet flesh side down or use a preheated cast iron pan for extra crispy crusts. Roast for 12 minutes.
- Flip the potatoes and roast another 12 minutes.
- Turn onto the skin side and roast 5 more minutes.
- Remove and serve with the Po'dunk sauce
|Cut your potatoes in half, then each half into three wedges.|
[Standard Disclaimer] I received a variety 4 pack of hot sauces from Cholula for free.